An Irresistible, Easy To Make Treat From Fiji!
Updated: Jul 6, 2019
In my post, “Fiji is Calling – You Should Answer”, I gushed about how great the food was and how we got fresh baked treats on the dive boat every day. Well, some of those treats included coconut cookies! Yeah, coconut is controversial – you either love it or hate it. I LOOVE coconut, but even my "coconut averse" hubby loved these! Eli (short for Elizabeth) at Waidroka Bay Resort graciously handed over the recipe for them! So I’m spilling her secret for these delish cookies! Enjoy and thank you Eli!
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter (I usually use margarine, but your choice)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg (the recipe didn’t specify, so I used a large egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I like pure vanilla extract)
1 1/3 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened because that’s what I had)
Parchment paper (it makes for easier clean up)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Mix in vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in flour mixture, then mix in coconut.
4. Drop dough by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet 3 inches apart.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes.
How easy is that?!
1. The cookies seemed to come out better when I made them smaller rather than larger. So, drop by small teaspoons rather than by full teaspoons.
2. Definitely do not over mix!
Melt semi sweet chocolate morsels and dip end of cookie for a cookie version of a Mounds candy bar OR add 2 teaspoons lemon extra for a dreamy lemon coconut cookie!